Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Birds, the Bees, and the Papa Goddess

So with all the Prop 8 stuff going on right now, (I know its like beating a dead horse) one of the main topics is, that people are afraid that they will be teaching our kids about it in school.

I keep telling the people that use that argument that it's not true and against the law. They cant even teach my kids about puberty without my permission, so why would they say that they will be teaching kids about gay marriages...its so fucking stupid.

So yesterday, I get home from school and on Joe's desk, there is a yellow note from the school with my son's name on it. I pick it up and it is says that they will be starting sex education for 5th and 6th graders soon and they need my permission for my son to participate in this class. I personally don't have a problem with the school teaching my kids about this stuff. Most of what they will be learning is something that they have already heard from me. This class just gets a little bit more technical. And of course it says nothing on the paper of talks of marriage, gay or otherwise.

Well for those of you that don't know my son, he is 11yrs old and a great kid. But he was born with a delay. About 2 years. I had to put him in speech therapy and he is in the special ed class at his school. He is caught up with his math and science skills, but he is way behind in his reading. I just had a conference with his teacher on Monday and he said that his reading is the only thing holding him back, but that he is getting better. But, because of my son's delay, there are a lot of "talks" that I haven't had with him. Mostly because I wasn't sure if he would understand but the majority is because he is my baby and I am not ready for him to grow up.

So what do I do? Not sign the paper and keep him innocent or sign the paper and he grows up? I dont like it either way. So I call him into my room and I asked him if he knew what that paper was for and he said yes. But I never had that talk with him about sex, so I didnt know what he knew. So I ask him, "baby, do you know what sex is?" and he says "yes" so then I ask, "ok what is it?" and he says "its when 2 people are naked in bed together." "yes but do you know what they are doing" and he says "no"......AH FUCK I GOTTA HAVE THE SEX TALK!!!!

So now my dilemma is, with or without pics....lol. (of the female body parts) But my wonderful husband Joe, had a brilliant idea. He pulled out the blade and the chalice and he explained to him that the blade represented a man and a chalice for a woman (in case you didn't know) and then explained what goes on during that time. we explained the sperm and the egg and how sex makes babies and all that fun stuff. And what does my son do....he starts laughing. it was great. So now when he takes this class, he's not going to be the only one in class who doesn't know what sex is. But now he gets all the Family Guy jokes.

Once he left the room, I looked over at Joe and said "These talks are getting easier, but this one was hard." cuz like I said before, he is my baby and I hate seeing him so big. He still likes to cuddle with me when we're watching tv, and he always gives me kisses and he isnt afraid to do it in front of his friends.

I know that I did the right thing and I dont regret giving Tavo the "talk" and I am so greatful to Joe for having such an amazing way to explain something that can be so hard to understand for young kids. Damn fuckin kids need to stop growing up so damn fuckin fast.

1 comment:

Soror Gimel said...

I am with Tavo here, that is damned funny stuff. Seriously, if you ever wonder if the cosmic it has a sense of humor just look at sex. Don't get me wrong, fabulous... but funny stuff :)